Wednesday, September 26, 2012

In Loving Memory of my Mamita




My Mamita
Just a few days ago I lost my Mamita, my only grandma, the only person in the world who ever spoiled me.   I knew no other love like it and now its gone.  It hurts and breaks my heart, but I know she is in a better place.

Mamita and me...six years ago.
She lived in Peru, while I lived in the States, so the last time I saw her was six years ago.  My mom, siblings and I had purchased our tickets to fly out and see her and celebrate her 90th birthday-my mom was going to throw her a big party.  Two weeks prior to our flight we received a call.  My Mamita was ill and it did not look like she would make it.  My brother and mom flew out immediately, I followed two days later.  We had arrived with saddened hearts knowing it was time to say our goodbyes, but Mamita surprised us and began to improve.  Everyone including the doctors where surprised at her recovery.We became hopeful that we would in fact be able to celebrate her birthday and many more days with her.  My Mamita is the most determined woman I know.  She fought hard and on September 12, 2012 we celebrated her 90th, not as planned since she was still in the hospital, but none the less we celebrated.
Her 90th invitation...never finished it.

While at the hospital, my mom, brother and I got to visit her everyday or every other day because of hospital regulations.  She could not talk because she had a tube in her mouth that helped her lungs function (artificial lung).  But her eyes were full of life and we communicated through them.  Every time I held her hands she would lift her eyebrows and say "your hands are cold".  I told her I would bundle up more.  My brother, who had a special relationship with my Mamita, would joke with her and she would laugh-like always.  She even danced a little salsa for us.  That is just who my Mamita was, that and so much more.

On our last weekend there we received another phone call. Mamita was not doing good.  We rushed to the hospital.  When we arrived the doctors said the words I dreaded hearing,  "I'm sorry..."  right than and there a little piece of me died too.  On Sunday September 23, 2012 at 11:23am Peru time, my Mamita passed away.  Since than I have had a mixed of emotions.  I miss her so much, but I know after a long month in the hospital it was time for her to move on.  I am so grateful I got to spend her last few days with her, even if they were on a hospital bed.  I'm glad for the times I was able to talk to her over the phone about life, babies, and parenthood.  She always had something witty to say.  I'm grateful for all the wonderful memories I will always have.

Now I imagine her with her brothers and sisters who have moved on before her, her baby boy she lost at four months, and my grandfather, Papapa, who waits for his true love.  All of them having a good time and watching over us.  I am happy for her, despite my pain.  I know she would want me to share all the beautiful and wise things she taught me as a child.  Some she said to me, others I learned through her example.  But all I have applied.  I will cherish them always.

Lessons taught by my Mamita:

1.  When you wash the dishes, make sure you wash the glasses first to allow for more space.

2.  Make sure you have your first baby before you are 25, after that it gets harder.

3.  As soon as your eyes open get out of bed and start your day.

4.  Let people come to you.

5.  Don't complicate life, just keep it simple.

6. Speak your mind because life's too short not to.

7.  Always have on your best clothes-even if you are changing diapers.

8.  Don't put up with bullshit - anybody's.

9.  Love God, first and foremost.

10.  Believe in miracles.

Mamita on her wedding day with Papapa
11. When you turn ten, your fingers are all taken up and you start a new stage in your life.  Its called a decade-make the most of it.

12. Passion-what's life without it?

13.Don't complain about your health, be grateful for the health you do have.

14.Go after your dreams, and if they change go after your new dreams!

Her hands always nice and warm.
Mom, Mamita, me, and sisters

Her Legacy