Sunday, May 13, 2012

Is it Time for a Minivan?

After a recent Facebook post I was reminded of how hard I fought against becoming your stereotype soccer mom with the mini van.  We had a used Dodge Sudan before becoming parents.  Than when the baby came we decided to purchase a brand new Honda Pilot (SUV) with leather seats.  It smelled just like all new cars do, fresh, clean, leathery (if that's a word).  We were going to be cool parents, that much we knew.

Within a few years we went from a family of three to a family of five!  But I still held on to my Pilot.  Eventually I started having a hard time getting all the kids in and out of the car.  Since they were all five years old and under they still needed help getting in and out of the car, plus my height (I'm only 4'11") didn't help!  I was always telling my oldest to be careful not to hit the car next to us when we parked.  I had to get up into the car to get the car seat in.  The kids always felt like they were right on top of us, especially when we took long road trips.  It was becoming too hectic.  

I finally gave in.  We purchased a used Honda Odyssey with fabric seats.  It didn't smell new or leathery, but I couldn't have been any happier.  I no longer worry about the girls hitting someone's car door.  Its low enough they can get in and out all by themselves.  And they are far enough in the back that we don't feel suffocated when we take long road trips.  What a pleasant change.  

And now with our fourth baby here we are glad we are a minivan family.  Its one of the best decisions we've ever made, my only regret is that we did not make it sooner.  

No comments: