Friday, July 13, 2012

Behavioral Chart for Kids

Having four kids and trying to give the three oldest ones a consequence for their bad behavior each and every time was wearing me out.  Eventually I kept giving them warnings...eg  "if you do that one more time....".  My husband and I would give different consequences for the same behavior which only confused everyone.  But kids are smart.  They caught on quickly and knew how far they could push the limits.

I decided it was time to get everyone on the same page and start enforcing our "if you do that one more time" philosophy.  We have had different methods in place at some time or another, but they never seemed to last long enough to be effective.  I searched online and couldn't find anything that we would really enforce in our busy lives.

Finally I took inspiration from pevious teachers' systems of the stop light and the Dugger's privilege chart I remembered watching a few years back.  The chart is set up as a street light.  Green, Yellow, Red and an additional Black.  Each color represents a certain behavior.  Green is wise behavior, yellow is foolish behavior, red is selfish behavior and black is rebellious behavior.  My husband helped me come up with those behavior titles, so props to him!  Each behavior has a consequence written right next to it.

Making the chart was pretty easy.  Sure I'd love to create a Martha Stewart looking behavior chart, but I needed something here and now.  I used 12 x 18 construction paper, clear Contact Paper, Velcro, a permanent marker and craft sticks.  First, I printed out the text and glued it to the corresponding color.  Next, I used the contact paper to laminate the chart.  Finally, I taped on velcro and made a stick for each child.  My youngest child is not of reading level so I added facial expressions to represent each behavior.   I love that it works for all my kids because its audio, kinesthetic, and visual!

Now whenever mom and dad need to give consequences it right there for everyone to see.  This simple thing has really cut down on a lot of frustration for the children and the parents I'm happy to report.  I don't have to say anything other than "move your name".  Music to my ears...sigh.   Does it work?  Yes!!  And its still going strong on year #2.  

One big strip of Velcro is added to the left so the kids can move their names up and down

I attached Velcro to the backs of the craft Sticks and added their names 

Behavior Title and consequences.  Three sections in each color allows the girls grace to change their behavior.

 If they get to this section they don't get too much grace!






No comments: